Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tomatoes Stuffed with Quinoa, TVP and Sauteed Veggies


Tomatoes are the bounty of the summer. Delicious, full of vitamins and everywhere you look! I have never attempted stuffed tomatoes because they always looked like they were on the verge of falling apart and the stuffings have never been tempting. Alas, in reading an issue of Woman's Health (yes, indulgent trashy summer reading) I was inspired by a recipe that called for the tomatoes to be raw and the dish to be cold. This was the inspiration, but not the reality. My dish ended up being warm, which was perfect!



For the filling I made about 1/2 a cup of Quinoa and then added rehydrated TVP (I used Bob's Red Mill Brand, rehydrated in veggie broth) and separately sauteed veggies ( I used zucchini, red, yellow and green peppers and garlic. Mushrooms would be great too!) Then some olive oil for moisture and salt and pepper.


Coring the tomatoes is the most time consuming part. Mostly because you know the second that you stop paying attention to what you're doing you going to cut a gaping hole in the side of it! I used a knife to cut the top off and then a sturdy metal spoon to scrape the insides like you would do with your jack o' lantern friend. A tool that would be great for this would be a grapefruit spoon, but I don't have one of those fancy things!

Stuff them and top them with some vegan mozzarella; I used Vegan Gourmet because it melts which is what you want! Then broil to melt the cheeze, about 10 minutes. Serve to happy friends and family on a bed of orzo and sauteed spinach!
Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment