Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Berries!!!



Berries are a summertime delight here in Oregon. I haven't met a person here who doesn't love the fresh berries, whether they pick them themselves or they buy them fresh from the local market. I went went with a couple of friends last week and ended up with a bounty! We went to Sauvie Island Farms where you could pick berries, veggies, herbs, flowers and their peach orchard was in season.

Christie surveys the marionberries, while Thurston wonders about the raspberries.

Picking can either be a social event or an extreme competition on how much you can pick. The first time I picked blueberries I picked seven pounds without blinking! Good thing I love blueberries! This summer it was a more controlled pick and I felt much better with the amount that I picked. Overall $16. Good deal for about 3 pounds of blueberries, a pound of raspberries, about 6 medium sized peaches and a few handpicked flowers. (I forgot to photograph them!)



Amanda found a beautiful zucchini flower!

A little fun in the fields!

There was a love of marionberries among the ladies I was with. I just ate them off the bushes. You have to get the deep purple ones or you won't want another marionberry ever!

When I got home I was overwhelmed on how to use the fruit without making a ton of desserts. For the first few days I just ate them by the handfuls out of the refrigerator. After that I conceded and started making sweet little treats!


Blueberry and Peach Pancakes

These little puppies don't look so great, but they were terrific the first morning. I got the recipe from Ripe From Around Here by Jae Steele. They are essentially just pancakes where once you put them in the pan you press some sliced peaches and blueberries into the batter. You flip and cook on both sides. Yum!

Raspberry and Chocolate Chip Cookies
These were the chocolate chip cookies from the prior post but I added about a handful and a half of fresh raspberries when adding the wet ingredients. They turned out pretty good!

Blueberry Muffins
The classic blueberry muffin recipe veganized. I used the recipe from Jae Steele again. It consisted of using applesauce in place of the eggs.


2 comments:

  1. yum!! you are so good at the cooking/baking thing! way to go. and yum! i am going to make a blueberry crumble with my berries and i think some muffins. mmm...mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love the purple color that comes when you cook with blueberries. I think the rest goes to smoothies!! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete